Friday, December 29, 2017

INTERVIEW WITH A SOAP / DEODORANT MAKER




Owners: Stacy Baron, Victor Baron
Web site: soapmestore.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/soapmestore/









 

Question 1- Why did you decide to have your own business (as opposed to getting a job somewhere)?

Two reasons.

1-Creativity and being in charge

2- Income. When you have a job somewhere, the money you earn is set.When you have your business, it can be hard work, but you also have the potential to earn more money.

In the past I did odds and ends jobs to earn money such as cleaning and care giving. I was a single mom. At some point when my kids were younger, I couldn't have a full time job because I couldn't afford babysitter cost.

How I chose the subject of soap/deodorant making is, one day I bought this shampoo bar and loved it. Then I thought it would be great if it didn't have all the chemicals in it. Then I thought it would sell if it was natural. I considered to make it. Found out that it takes a long time to make it. Eventually learned and started making them to sell at farmers markets. Shampoo bars didn't sell but the soaps did. Also people used to ask me if I have creams or different scented soaps. So I started focusing on variety of soaps.
At some point I was trying to create a travel kit with my soaps....noticed it needed deodorant. Learned how to make it. I learned all I know from books and experimenting basically.



 Question 2- Did you have any worries at first? And how did you overcome them?

Sure. Is it going to be good enough of a product, how am I going to produce larger amounts? Worrying basically.

Necessity is what made me overcome those worries. I needed to support myself and my family financially. Although I still have some worries naturally. So worries don't necessarily go away.
They evolve. You can worry about continuation of your product and expansion.

Question 3- What were the first 5 actions you took to get started?
1-Decided on the topic of business
2-Bought books
3-Read and learned
4-Practiced at home (it was fun to make soaps)
5-Went to local Farmers Markets to sell my soaps.

Question 4- Did you come across with challenges and doubt yourself?

I didn't. For the most part it went smoothly.

Question 5- Did you invest a lot of money? 

I probably saved around $2000. Some of this money went into our living expenses (I stopped working outside so I could learn to make soaps) and some went to supplies. 
I got a canopy for me to use in Farmers Markets. I bought oils, pots, containers, soap cutter etc. And I invested more money into the business over time. I bought better materials and supplies.

Question 6- How do you see the future of your business? 

Expansion. I am learning how to get to my goals, by planning out. I would like to have my products in 500 stores within the US.
I would like to have a small factory where we can produce.

Question 7- Do you have any advice for people who want to start a business? 
Anyone can do it. You just have to learn to get it done basically.










 



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews