Friday, April 9, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH A POTTERY MAKER

 

My second international interview. Look forward to having more of these!

Vered is from Israel. Thank you for talking to us Vered. 


https://www.etsy.com/shop/VIBceramics

My name is Vered (Hebrew for Rose).


VIBceramics is a one-woman business. I work alone and hand-build each ceramic item from scratch.


I create colorful, natural, simple, and functional handmade ceramics (stoneware), inspired by the Mediterranean Sea and the beauty of nature here in Israel. 


The plates and bowls I make are relatively large, influenced by the Middle Eastern hospitality culture, where there are often family meals with plenty of home-cooked, delicious and comforting food, made with love ♥.


I love creating and love knowing that my creations are enjoyed every day, bringing color and joy to peoples homes 😊







Q1: Why did you decide to have your own business (as opposed to getting a job somewhere).

 

I was working in high-tech for 22 years (since my army service as a programmer in the Israeli Air Force). When my kids were 5 and 3 I decided it is time for a change. I quit. I wanted to be available to my family and myself. To do something that make every day special for me and for others. 

 




Q2: Did you have any worries at first? And how did you overcome them?

 

Yes. At first and along the way. It takes time and hard work especially when you are on your own.   

I made a plan with budget and a dead line. I had the support of someone close that believed in me even when I considered to give up. 







Q3: What were the first five actions you took to get started?


- I created a home studio in a small patio. (Improvisation)

- I bought a used kiln

- I opened an Etsy shop

- I created few designs/collections

- I used my skills from my career in high tech for customer service procedures. 








Q4: Did you come across with challenges and doubt yourself (thinking “what am I doing?”)

 

Yes. I am a self taught artist and came from a different “world” with no connections to the art world. I was alone. 


Also I felt I am failing for the first time. Wasting our savings. Being irresponsible to my family.

Dreaming. 









Q5: Did you invest a lot of money?


 I had to start with arranging a place to work from. Set a studio with big desk, many shelves , a place for the big kiln, sink, a place for the computer and printer and for packing and packing materials. Electricity adjustment for the kiln (for firing at a high temperature).
I don’t have the exact amount.


The biggest investment was the kiln. Especially for online international shop It is important to also budget branding, marketing and  packing materials. 









Q6: How do you see the future of your business?

 

I feel I am on track now. 

There are better and less good months. This is how it is to own a business. I hope to be able to create ceramics for many years.










 Q7: Do you have any advice for people who want to start a business

It has to be about something you enjoy but also find very meaningful. 

Be ready to work harder than ever before. To have to deal also with things you like less. 

Get help / support. Offer the best customer service you can. The one you would like to get. 

Good luck. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews